Hello my first Tutorial will be on how to make a bootable usb kali linux from where you can do pentesting (programming or vulnerablity analysis) with every computer just with a few simple steps!
What’s a usb boot?:
USB boot is the process of using a USB storage device to boot or start a computer’s operating system. It enables computer hardware to use a USB storage stick to get all essential system booting information and files rather than the standard/native hard disk or the CD drive.
All popular operating systems support the creation of a bootable USB drive that can be plugged into a USB slot to boot a computer, server or laptop.
USB boot works much like the legacy floppy disk drive (FDD) booting capability. It is mainly used to recover, repair and install an operating system. It provides users with an alternative method to boot a system. Typically, to perform a USB boot, a bootable USB device must first be created. The bootable USB drive can be set up using a native operating system component or through various third-party utilities. The software/utility will copy all the operating system files and boot sequence into the USB drive to enable the USB boot
Ok so let’s begin!
First of all you have to know some informations:
- I will explain here how to install Kali Linux 2 (it is a very popular linux platform for developers to pentest and code…
- Like any other tutorial on the web: I am not responsible about any damages caused by this tutorial if you skipped a step or didn’t do a step properly so be careful.
- I’m not a developer of Kali Linux but only helping for beginner’s to start using their system.
and have these:
- A stable internet connection a good download speed and unlimited data because the download is like 3Gb
- Download the newest Kali Linux version here
- A computer!
Now we can start!
- You have downloaded the file and you are ready to go!
- Now thats the important part of the tutorial;
- if you are using a windows device go and download for free (USBWriter for windows) and head to step 6
- if you are using a mac no need to download something, skip to step 7
- if you are using a linux or ubuntu device head forward to step 8
- after download install USBWriter and click on the target device and choose your USB device after plugging it in, chose your downloaded file in the ‘ Browse ‘ button and click write , it should begin… Head to step 9
- if you’re with a mac device go to the Utilities folder under Applications and select and start the Disk Utility application, you will see your usb stick on your right, click on it and select the write option and select your downloaded file. go to step 9
- go to system applications in your file manager and select your disk utility, do the same step as the mac (step 7) and head to step 9
- once you’ve did all these steps for your specified system you’ve done your own bootable usb device!
- this will show you how to boot to your usb on mac:Step 1: Turn on your Mac by pressing the power button by choosing Restart in the Apple menu, or restart it if it’s already on.Step 2: Press and hold the Option (⌥) key immediately upon hearing the startup chime. Release the key after Startup Manager appears. Startup Manager will scan and list connected drives and volumes that can be booted from, as shown below.
Step 3: Highlight the volume you want to use by using your mouse or trackpad, or left and right arrow keys on the keyboard.
Step 4: Double-click or press the Return key to boot your Mac from the selected volume.
Tip: If there are several USB storage devices connected to your Mac, Startup Manager will only list the ones containing bootable volumes.
- This will show you how to boot to your usb from any other computer:
To boot from a USB device in a casual computer you a have to press and hold the f 4 button while pressing the power on button and normally your computer will boot into recovery/setup mode from where you should change the boot order/priority of your booting USB to the first device and save changes and click on the button with text: reboot now.
After that you should power your computer normally and it should start to boot from your USB !
Once booted from the USB go with the arrow keys to navigate to the one with live kali and click enter.
This should boot your device into the kali Linux, good programming !