Wifite is an automated wifi cracking tool using the most popular and used cracking tools script (like reaver, airplay-ng and so on…)
The use of wifite is pretty easy because it is 99% automated and you have to only choose the options with 1 or 0s so it fits well for beginners for pentesting.
It is mainly designed to attack multiple WEP, WPA, and WPS encrypted networks in a row. This tool is customizable to be automated with only a few arguments. Wifite aims to be the “set it and forget it” wireless auditing tool.
1. sorts targets by signal strength (in dB); cracks closest access points first
2. automatically de-authenticates clients of hidden networks to reveal SSIDs (names of wifi networks).
3. numerous filters to specify exactly what to attack (wep/wpa/both, above certain signal strengths, channels, etc)
4. customizable settings (timeouts, packets/sec, etc)
5. “anonymous” feature; changes MAC to a random address before attacking, then changes back when attacks are complete
6. all captured WPA handshakes are backed up to wifite.py’s current directory
7. smart WPA de-authentication; cycles between all clients and broadcast deauths (an attack type that can kick out users from a wifi network)
8. stop any attack with Ctrl+C, with options to continue, move onto next target, skip to cracking, or exit
9. displays session summary at exit; shows any cracked keys
10. all passwords saved to cracked.txt
11. built-in updater: ./wifite.py -upgrade
How to use it?
Like I said before Wifite is very easy to use:
The first step is an option in which it will give you all the wireless cards that can be putted into monitor mode. Your wireless card will be the one beginning with the word ‘WLAN‘ which means: Wireless Local Area Network.
The second step is when wifite put your wireless card into monitor mode which enables you to run cracking scripts.This step doesn’t require any selecting menus.
At the third step it will start scanning for wifi networks and let this step run until it shows your wifi network, when it has found it click the buttons: cntrl(control)+c at the same time and if done right the scanning will stop.
The next step will prompt you for which wifi you want to crack and recover the password. Each wifi network will have a number and you can type in the number of the wifi you want to crack or you can choose multiple networks by putting “,” between the numbers and as your last choice but not very recommended you can write “all” to choose to attack all the networks for better success rate.
And the attack will begin!
Please note that this is for educational purposes only and that we are not responsible of any damage caused of the usage of this tool. This doesn’t mean that you can’t use this tool without damaging anything ;).